Friday, March 15, 2013

The Mast spring sports pick 'em: March 15

Oops. I’m going to have to wear this one. I told the league to predict how many games the softball team would win in Georgia last weekend. I also told them the reigning national champs would be playing four games. They played six.
    It was the first mistake of the year. Give me some slack.
    With a 5-3 vote, the league voted to throw out last week’s picks. So the standings remain unchanged for another week.
    The softball team went 3-3 in Georgia last weekend. If the league voted to keep last week’s predictions, two would have picked the correct answer because of the .500 winning percentage.
    Schoepp and Olsufka both picked the softball team to win two games in Georgia, so they essentially missed out on a correct prediction— bummer.
    There is no need to say which way Schoepp and Olsufka voted whether to keep last week’s picks or not.
    On to this week though. The baseball team (11-5, 4-2) hosts first-place Whitworth (8-6-1, 3-0) for a big three-game Northwest Conference series.
    The Pirates advanced to the NCAA Div. III World Series last season after sharing the NWC title with Pacific.
    The series starts with a doubleheader tomorrow and concludes with a single game on Sunday. First pitch is at noon on both days.