Friday, March 1, 2013

Making the big time where she is

NCAA Div. I transfer bolsters the reigning national champion softball team’s roster

By Sam Horn, Sports Writer

Nearly 3,000 miles away last year, a future Lute was in the process of becoming a softball star. Last season was Kelsey Robinson’s first year at Troy University, a NCAA Division I school in Alabama.
After not being able to contribute as much as she wanted to the team at Troy, Puyallup native Robinson said she decided it would be best if she moved back to the state of Washington to be closer to her family.
"My family inspires me because they give me so much support and have given me all of these opportunities to become the player and person I am, so I want to make them proud," Robinson said.
One of Robinson’s coaches from a softball camp in Oregon recruited her to play at Troy after seeing her pitch at the camp.
Robinson saw some time on the field in her first season at Troy. After appearing in three games during the season, Robinson allowed three hits while pitching in 2 2/3 innings.
Robinson said she was lured to Pacific Lutheran University because her pitching coach in high school told her about the school’s prolific softball program.
"I want to contribute in any way I can to make our team successful. I want to grow as a leader," Robinson said about the privilege of participating on a national powerhouse softball squad.
Once Robinson arrived on the campus of PLU, she made a name for herself in the realm of softball.
Robinson not only pitches at PLU, but also plays right field. So far this season, Robinson has batted .400 while driving in 4 runs. Concerning her pitching performance, Robinson has not been kind to opposing batters.
She currently boasts a 2.33 earned run average, which means she allows less than three runs a game, an impressive statistic for a pitcher.
Being a part of the softball team at PLU has been a way for Robinson to take a mental break from obstacles in her life and simply focus on what’s happening on the field.
Robinson started playing softball at a young age and said she has always loved the idea of being part of a team. She said she enjoys sharing the same passion of softball with her teammates, which ultimately results in success on and off the field.
"Our goal as a team is take it game by game. I think this team has what it takes to win another national title," Robinson said. "I’m excited to see what the season will bring."