Friday, February 15, 2013

Letter from the Editor: The Mooring Mast makeover moves forward

by Jessica Trondsen, Editor-in-Chief

Thank you for reading this issue of The Mooring Mast. I’m pretty proud of it. A lot of hard work went into creating this edition, but then again, a lot of hard work goes into every edition. I’m always proud of that. But this week, the thing I’m most pleased by is the fact you’re reading this article in print or online, because it means one thing: we’re back.

Several things happened over our J-term hiatus. Wonderful things, really.

For starters, some hiring decisions were made. I am excited to announce that not only was I hired as Editor-in-Chief for spring semester, but that other staff members were hired as well. Moving forward with a larger staff is cause for celebration, as it means we have more people to cover stories, share ideas and contribute to this weekly product.

It’s not too late for you to get involved though. Positions are still up on the Career Connections website, so be sure to fill out an application. I also want to invite you to our weekly staff meetings, which take place on Mondays at 8 p.m. in Anderson University Center room 172, if you want to gather more information or become a guest contributor. The Mooring Mast seeks guest photographers, reporters, cartoonists and columnists throughout the year.

You may have noticed that the physical paper looks a little different. As part of our rebranding for the new semester, we redesigned our page presence. The aesthetical changes allow for the paper to be a little denser in content, so that we can cover more stories in less space.

We’ve also transformed our center section into a photo spread called ‘Features’ to provide a platform for more photojournalism within the newspaper.

I would love to hear what you think of the changes and the increased content that resides within these pages. Email your thoughts to mast@plu.edu in a letter to the editor.

In addition to these changes, The Mooring Mast has increased its online presence since we last printed.

We have a Pinterest page now. For those of you wondering what purpose a Pinterest page could serve for a newspaper, I encourage you to check it out at http://www.pinterest.com/mooringmast/.

We have also updated our Twitter with two new usernames. Keep up with all things Lutes’ athletics by following @MastSports, where our sports staff will be live tweeting upcoming events. Also, be sure to add @TheMastArts for campus and community arts and entertainment happenings.

I’m looking forward to a great semester with all of you. Thank you for your continued support. I’m really proud of this paper — and I hope you are too.