Friday, September 14, 2012

Hutchinson and Hermann headline Homecoming

By Rachel Diebel, Guest Writer

It has been a decade since Pacific Lutheran University has had a homecoming concert.  This year ASPLU, in collaboration with the Residence Hall Association, has brought the PLU Homecoming concert after a decade of absence.

On Thursday, Sept. 27 at  6 p.m., Eric Hutchinson will take the stage on Foss Field, with PLU student Charlie Herrmann opening the show. Admission is free, but students are encouraged to bring along a jar of peanut butter to donate to the Emergency Food Network. The Emergency Food Network encourages peanut butter because it is the hardest food to get from college students while being the most valuable given its density in protein, Hillary Powell, ASPLU public relations director, sai.

Anyone who donates will be entered into a raffle to win Lute gear.

“Not a lot of people think to donate peanut butter,” Powell said. “But it’s actually a really good item, because it’s easy to store, has a lot of protein, doesn’t rot and is easy for college students to get.” 

The raffle is a partnership program between students and alumni. The students will provide a prize for an alumni winner and the alumni will provide the prize for the student raffle winner.

Powell said she thinks PLU has always been a little ahead of the curve with up-and-coming musicians.

“We’ve had a lot of people come in right before they got really big, like Macklemore and Alan Stone,” she said.

The concert is a part of the official Homecoming Week schedule. RHA and ASPLU have allocated a total of $10,000 to sponsor this event.  To keep the cost of the concert down, ASPLU and RHA will not employ outside staff.

PLU musician Junior Charlie Hermann said she was anxious to open for the lead show.

“I’m stoked,” she said, explaining that Hutchinson has always been an inspiration for her.

“I’ll start off with a few covers so the crowd can sing along, but most of the stuff I’ll be doing is original,” Hermann said.

Herrmann is no stranger to a large audience, having performed at the Be the Spark event two years ago that featured Archbishop Desmond Tutu’s last public speech.

Powell’s ahead-of-the-curve feeling about PLU musical guests is shared by other students.

“I think it’s really cool that they’re bringing in someone [Hutchinson] who maybe not everyone has heard of but has the potential to become really popular,” said first-year student Hannah Ferguson. 

"I didn’t know that it was the first time in ten years that there’s been one of these concerts, but I think it’s really cool that I get to go,” she added. “It makes me want to go even more, and I think that bringing in a big artist will really get people amped.”

Hutchinson is known for his hit song, “Rock & Roll.”  He will be promoting his new album, Moving Up Living Down, which was released April 13, 2012.