Friday, April 20, 2012

Track and field prepare for NWC Championship meet

By Sam Horn, Sports Reporter

Standing 5’4”, junior Katie Jahnsen will compete in the javelin, shot-put, hammer, discus and 100-meter dash in the conference championships Friday and Saturday.

“I ran long distance and pole vaulted in high school, Jahnsen said. “One day, I was late to practice, so I did a sprinter workout, and I found out I was the fastest sprinter on the team. I then transitioned into a being a sprinter.”

Jahnsen competed in the heptathlon last year in the conference championships, but this year by the strength and conditioning coach asked her to throw the discus, javelin, hammer and shot put.

“This season has been really good for me, as I think I have been improving a lot on the discus and hammer,” Jahnsen said. “I’m excited to see what can happen this weekend.”

By Brandon Adam, Guest Reporter

Sprinter and long jumper first-year Emanuel Sloan feels this is his best season.

“I’m just trying to place top eight at least,” Sloan said. “In both sprints and long jump.”

Sloan took a year off from running last year as a senior in high school but says his sprints have improved while running for Pacific Lutheran University.

“My times have improved drastically,” Sloan said. “I went from running an 11.50 to almost an 11.08.

Running coach Michael Wallard said he is hopeful for Sloan in conference.

“He’s one of our top two sprinters,” Wallard said.

Sloan said he appreciates the coaching under Wallard.

“We’re really close,” Sloan said “He [Wallard] has great expertise in the events that we do. He’s a seasoned veteran so it’s great to learn from him.”

By Allie Hamilton, Guest Reporter

Expect to see sophomore thrower Sam Potter on the podium this weekend. Potter will compete in discus, shot put, and hammer.

Last year Potter placed second in discus and third in shot put in the NWC.

Discus is Potter’s main event, where she has thrown 123 ‘ 9’’.

Potter’s main competitors are Jenae Martin from Whitworth and Anna LeBeaume from Linfield.

Martin’s mark of 128‘5’’ is currently the one to beat.

Potter is going into the meet with a positive attitude. “I’m pretty inconsistent right now but I’ve been practicing shot and disc everyday,” Potter said. “I’m just going to do my best and we’ll see.”

By Makenzie Landis, Guest Reporter

Junior Jeffrey Tolman is the one to watch in the men’s 110-meter hurdles at the Northwest Conference track and field meet this weekend.

“Jeff is looking to be in the top three in this year’s conference,” hurdles coach Michael Waller said.

Not only an excellent athlete, Tolman also has great character his teammates said.

“My favorite thing about Jeff is that he is very humble, but a fierce competitor,” track manager senior Becca Ford said.

This weekend marks the start of the Northwest Conference. Tolman will participate in the preliminary race Friday to see if he qualifies for the finals, which will be held on Saturday.

“Jeff is the most consistent hurdler,” Waller said. “If he has a technically good race, he should do quite well.”