Friday, November 4, 2011

Letters to the editor: Nov. 4, 2011

Vending machines part of ‘phase out’

I just wanted to offer a little clarification regarding some of the information in the article, “Banned bottles hide on campus.” In an Email to Nick Neely in September, I explained that last year’s ASPLU Resolution specifically targeted the sale of bottled water at on-campus dining areas such as Old Main Market, but our long-term goal in the Sustainability Department was to completely phase out the sale of bottled water on campus, including vending machines.

At that time, Sustainability Manager Chrissy Cooley told me Dining has plans to eventually remove bottled water from vending machines, but a meeting to set the date was pending. Last semester, neither Marta Behling nor I met personally with Residential Life since Chrissy has regular meetings with the department and there is a representative from Residential Life on the Sustainability Committee.Far from being opponents, all departments are on the same team, working toward common goals.

As I remember it, the reason behind the more specific focus of the resolution was that it would be a good first step for Marta and me to pursue the dining locations and could be realized within the semester. We were confident that it was a move that had a high chance of success, which would hopefully allow for some support and momentum to build, as opposed to trying to go for everything at once and becoming overwhelmed. Dining was very supportive throughout the process. In the article, Director Erin McGinnis says guests may want to use vending machines for bottled water, and therein lies the logic behind the phase-out process.

It provides enough time to start getting the message out to the wider audience that bottled water won’t be sold at PLU in the future, which prompts people to bring a reusable bottle to use at one of the many drinking fountains.

Thank you,

Kenny Stancil, junior

Editor's Note: The following is an email exchange between Kenny Stancil and reporter Nick Nealy:

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011, Nick Nealy wrote:

Kenny,
Out of curiosity, why did you decide to not pursue bottles in the vending machines last year, I was told that originally you wanted to take all water bottles out of the machines but after a meeting with res life you decided not to  pursue the vending machines. Please let me know the narrative on the bottled water vending machine story last year.
Nick

On Sep 27, 2011, Kenneth Stancil wrote:

Hi Nick,

I'm in Chile this semester, so unfortunately a phone call isn't possible.

Last year's ASPLU Resolution specifically targeted the sale of bottled water at on-campus dining areas such as Old Main Market, but our long-term goal in the Sustainability Department is to completely phase out the sale of bottled water on-campus, including vending machines. Sustainability Manager Chrissy Cooley told me that Dining has plans to remove bottled water from the vending machines, but a meeting to set the date is pending.

Kenny

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011, Nickolas Neely wrote:

Mr. Stancil,
Hello my name is Nick Neely and I work with the Mooring Mast. I was hoping you would have time to discuss (through email or over phone obviously) the vending machines on campus that still retain bottled water.
Nick Neely

--
Nick Neely