Thursday, November 17, 2011

Intramural Sports athletes have opportunity to build friendships, learn to work as a team

By Brandon Adam, Guest Reporter

The current season of intramural sports began Nov. 1, allowing students to participate in dodgeball, basketball and volleyball.

Students who participate in intramural sports gain similar social and physical benefits like student athletes that play on varsity level teams, although the uniforms might be a little different.

“Besides bonding, I enjoy dressing up in outrageous outfits and exhibiting my skill for all to see,” Backfield Power dodgeball player junior Zack Roberts said.

Backfield Power is one of the intramural teams this season, they play dodgeball and basketball.

These activities give students something to do besides studying.

“Intramural sports are a great use of my time because I find myself bonding with each and every team mate on various levels” Roberts said.

Intramural sports offer extracurricular activities for students on campus to break up the repetitive nature of campus life.

“It gives me a break from studying and gives me a chance to be an athlete in competition,” junior Sean Boaglio said.

Not to be outdone by their varsity counterparts, intramural teams plan game strategies as well.

“Good defense will win dodgeball every time,” Backfield Power team captain senior Taylor Astel said.

Teams uphold values consistent with other activities they participate in like Team America, a team originally founded by ROTC members.

Intramural sports allow every student the opportunity to participate in these activities.

Not all members of Team America are ROTC members, though most of them are, appointed team leader senior Joseph Perez said.

“It reinforces the necessity of teamwork, unit cohesion, and just enjoy friendly competition,” Perez said. “It is a good way to build teamwork, build camaraderie among cadets of all Military Science levels.”

The name Team America has significant meaning as well for these individuals.

“We want to reflect army values,” Perez said.

Like Backfield Power, Team America plays dodgeball and basketball, but also volleyball.

Team sports help these particular students in their future endeavors. Perez hopes that these experiences will help future leadership and the importance of young cadets playing together.

”I hope to create long lasting relationships with my teammates that could possibly extend into other men’s or co-ed leagues,” Roberts said.

Pacific Lutheran University features many alternative sports for students to participate in all class levels and co-ed leagues. Basketball and dodgeball games take place Mondays and Wednesdays from 8-9:30 p.m. and volleyball games, Tuesdays and Thursdays 8:30-9:30 p.m.